Jewish Quarter and St. Procopius' Basilica in Třebíč
The ensemble of the Jewish Quarter, the old Jewish cemetery and the Basilica of St. Procopius in Třebíč are reminders of the co-existence of Jewish and Christian cultures from the Middle Ages to the 20th century.
Třebíč dates from 1101 when a Benedictine monastery was established here. Thanks to its position on the banks of the River Jihlava and the munificence of its founders the city became an important centre for religious life and education. Today it is an important economic, administrative, political and cultural centre in south-west Moravia. The city was once a centre of Jewish culture in Moravia and the uniquely preserved Jewish Quarter bears silent witness to the cohabitation between Jews and Christians in this city. The Basilica of St. Procopius was originally built as part of the Benedictine monastery in the early 13th century and it was influenced by Western European ideas in its construction.
The Jewish quarter and the Basilica of St. Prokop were inscribed in the UNESCO list in 2003.